Monday, May 12, 2008

Haitian Beans and Rice

haitian beans and rice
This is a most awesome recipe that my buddy makes, and keeps me with a steady supply. It is really tasty and hearty, yet not too filling. It'll definitely hit the spot when you're hungry, though. Ask me what my favorite part about this dish is? The beans! The garlic! The rice! The cloves? Yes, even the cloves! Its all just so wonderfully delicious. This may very well be the one and only recipe that I post to this blog that I haven't cooked myself. The great thing about this dish is that a batch will last several meals, so its great to take to work for lunch, or nights when you don't feel like cooking. Obviously, this is a fairly simple recipe and I could cook it myself, but I had to give credit where credit is due. Thanks Matt!

Ingredients:

  • 1pound dried kidney beans

  • 3tablespoons vegetable oil

  • 2cloves garlic, chopped or pressed(I love garlic so more is always better!)

  • 2cups white rice

  • several whole cloves


Directions:

  1. Soak the beans for about 8 hours before cooking them.

  2. Drain the beans and set the reserved cooking water aside.

  3. Add the oil to the pot & fry the beans with the garlic for a few minutes. Try not to stir too much or the beans will get mushy. (Add more oil if needed).

  4. Return water to pot of beans & garlic and bring to a boil. If necessary add more water to make 4 cups.

  5. Add rice & cloves, and stir. Cover and simmer until rice is cooked(about 25 to 30 min).


**I add about a teaspoon of curry powder and Mrs. Dash seasoning when I'm about to eat it, but that's just how I like it, try your own favorite seasonings to get the perfect flavor, this dish is very customizable!**
Prep time:1/2 hour
Cooking time: 2- 2 1/2 hours
Soaking time: 8 hours

No comments: