Monday, October 20, 2008

Edgar Allan Po' Boys

edgar_allan_poboy
Its my favorite time of the year....autumn. And my favorite day of the year is just around the corner.....Halloween! So to celebrate, I cranked up some classic Bauhaus records and got down to the business of making some spooky Po' Boys.

This was my first time making po' boys, so I wasn't sure how they'd turn out. But......they turned out absolutely spectacular. Seriously delicious. This will definitely become a staple in my kitchen.

Everyone makes po' boys differently, and everyone has different preferences. The key to a po' boy is the French baguette. One that is crispy on the outside and airy on the inside. Crunchy is key. Everything else kinda comes down to preference. Here's how I made mine.....

Ingredients:

  • 1 package of seitan - thinly sliced (that's enough for 2 or 3 people)

  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped

  • 5 cloves garlic, minced

  • 2 or 3 peppers, finely chopped

  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Bragg's Aminos - healthier soy sauce)

  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or whatever vinegar you like)

  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder

  • 1 tablespoon turmeric


Toppings:

  • kale (I boil mine in water with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes to soften it up)

  • miso mayo (or vegannaise will work)

  • hot sauce (being a hot sauce addict, I used Tapatio and Tabasco)

  • gravy


Directions:

1. Start the gravy. You can cook it up and let it simmer while you do the rest. My gravy recipe can be found on this page.

2. Sauté the seitan slices, onion and garlic in oil over medium heat (I used olive oil, you don't need too much, maybe 2 tablespoons)

3. After the onions soften a bit and the seitan starts to brown, add the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic powder and turmeric and sauté a little longer until the liquids cook off and the smell is so awesome you just can't wait any longer

4. As the seitan is nearing completion, toast your baguette

5. Once the baguette is nice and crispy warm, pile the seitan mixture on, add your toppings (miso mayo on the bread), slather it with gravy, find some suitably spooky music and enjoy your Edgar Allan Po' Boy!

No comments: