Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mexican Country Tofu Scramble

country-scramble
Ay Caramba! This is currently my favorite breakfast item. Its fairly quick to make (about 20 minutes) and will definitely satisfy you if you're hungry. It is surprisingly light, however. This is a variation on my normal tofu scramble, but the difference is enough to warrant its own entry.

This time I used silken tofu instead of extra firm (thought I had some in the fridge but I was wrong). I was apprehensive but it actually turned out great. The key to making this recipe awesome is.....the gravy! My grandmother is a gravy master, and she was nice enough to teach me a while back. Its pretty easy, you just have to be careful when mixing the flour and the hot bouillon water, or else you'll end up making dumplings instead of gravy (I know from experience).

The Scramble

  • 1/3 block silken tofu (full block if you are cooking for more people, or if you have a REALLY big appetite)

  • 1/4 onion, diced (again, 1/2 onion for more than one person)

  • 1/2 tsp turmeric (this is what gives it the yellow color)

  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce, or I use Bragg's Liquid Aminos

  • curry powder, seasoned to taste

  • garlic powder, seasoned to taste

  • 1 soy breakfast sausage link

  • Soyrizo (soy chorizo)


Added to this affair is a Tofurky chipotle breakfast link, chopped up and mixed with the scramble, and because I love spicy, I add a few shakes of Tapatio hot sauce and Tabasco. Also, can't go without the smoky tempeh bacon!

The Gravy

  • 1/2 or 1 cube of vegetable bouillon

  • 2 cups water

  • 3-5 tablespoons flour


Directions

  • Start off with 1 cup of water and the bouillon in a pot, and bring to a boil so that the bouillon dissolves; once dissolved, bring the heat down to medium

  • Pour 1/2 cup water into a measure cup and add about 2 tablespoons of flour

  • Whisk the flour and water until its evenly mixed, and slowly pour into the hot bouillon water, stirring as you do this

  • I usually add another tablespoon or two of flour mixed with another 1/2 cup of water at this point, and this is the part where you can decide how thick you want your gravy to be


Let it simmer while you cook your scramble and you are ready for one seriously hearty meal....yee haw!

No comments: