Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yogi Bhajan's Onion Soup

zwiebel-suppe
I am a soup junkie. I've never met a soup I didn't love. So the other night I had a favorite...my beloved German Potato Soup, and still craving soup, last night I made this new onion soup recipe, which I found on the Yogi Tea web site.

If there is one other soup that gives the German Potato Soup a run for its money, its a good onion soup.....and this one delivers!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup oil

  • 3 onions, thinly sliced

  • 3 tablespoons minced gingerroot

  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic

  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

  • 2 teaspoons turmeric

  • 1 tablespoon caraway seeds

  • 1 pinch of crushed red chilies

  • 3 quarts water

  • 1 tablespoon kelp powder

  • tamari


onion-soup
Directions

  • Heat the oil in a 4-quart pot over a medium-high flame

  • Add onions, garlic and ginger, allowing this mixture to soften and lightly brown

  • Add the balance of the spices: garlic, pepper, turmeric, caraway seeds and red chilies

  • Cook until well done

  • Add water and bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes

  • Add kelp and tamari to taste


**to this recipe, I added some komis bread (sourdough-rye) from the local German bakery, and some vegan melting cheez (I didn't heat it enough though, it didnt' melt haha)

No comments: