Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ghoulash

vegan goulash
Nothing reminds me of home like a good goulash. Its Hungarian, its hearty, and absolutely satisfying. It is the definitive comfort food for me. My Grandmother makes the best goulash, hands down. So, when I thought of making a vegan version, I went straight to the master. With a bit of help, this turned out every bit as delicious as the traditional version.

My cousin came over for a movie night, so we cracked a bottle of wine to celebrate the end of another semester, and enjoyed a bit of spooky ghoulash with salad.

The ingredient amounts are very informal. This is one of those recipes that you can just eyeball, mainly to your own taste, but below is a guideline.

salat-mit-pfiff

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1-2 cups soy chik'n or other faux meat of your choice
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon flour (thickens it up a bit)
  • 1-2 tablespoons red paprika
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • pinch of sea salt
  • noodles of your choice (traditionally egg noodles are used, but I used wheat)

Directions:
  • heat the faux meat - I prefer to use a skillet
  • heat the oil on medium, and sautee the onions until they are a nice browned color
  • add half the water (slowly), bring to a boil momentarily, then reduce the heat to about medium-low to simmer
  • add the chik'n, paprika, and sea salt
  • let that simmer for about 10 minutes and prepare the noodles in the meantime
  • when the noodles are finished, its time to dig in......enjoy!

No comments: