Sunday, June 15, 2008

Festive Casserole

festive casserole
Festive Casserole......great for festive occasions! Today is indeed a festive occasion: I finally got a food processor! Yes, I've entered the 21st century. I made this recipe once before, about a month ago and let me tell you, grating/shredding the beets was HORRIBLE without my handy dandy food processor. It took about an hour to shred everything. With my food processor, it took about 10 minutes. Food processors really are cruise control for AWESOME.

So.....on to the dish. I found this recipe on the Yogi Tea web site. It is a fairly ayurvedic-friendly recipe (garlic is a no-no in the ayurvedic diet), but I veganized a few of the ingredients. The vegan cheez is what makes this dish so great. I pretty much use the Follow Your Heart brand exclusively. The key to making this cheez taste really good is to melt it till its bubbly.

raw shredded beets

Ingredients:

  • 4 beets of assorted colors (I did 2 red beets and 2 white beets)

  • 1.5 lbs carrots

  • 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped

  • 3 onions (I chopped one onion normally and food processed the other 2 until they were minced)

  • 3 cloves of garlic (I like mine fairly large, but you can mince the garlic if you want)

  • black pepper to taste

  • Braggs Aminos, sprinkled to taste (this is a healthy and low-sodium soy sauce)

  • 1/4 cup olive or canola oil (for use when you sautée)

  • 2 packages of vegan jack cheez


Directions:

  1. Scrub beets and carrots, but don't cut off stems or roots.

  2. Steam whole beets for about 15 minutes, then add whole carrots and steam until tender/firm

  3. Rinse in cold water and remove the skins (I use one of those hand skinner tools)

  4. Separately grate the beets and carrots (in your handy food processor!)

  5. Marvel at how bloody your hands look from the red beets

  6. Place in casserole dish, mixing lightly so the colors are distinct.

  7. Sautée onions and garlic in oil until golden brown

  8. Gently mix the onions and garlic with beets and carrots, layering cheez in as well

  9. Sprinkle with pepper and Braggs Aminos (or soy sauce if you want to go the less healthy route)

  10. Cover entirely with the grated cheez

  11. Cook in the oven at about 400 degrees for around 5 minutes, then broil until the cheez is bubbly

  12. Enjoy!


food processor

No comments: